The plums grinned at me under the promising-but-intimidating sign that read “on sale.” They screamed to be purchased and ripened and baked until, finally, their demands would subside.
Some people eat plums raw, allowing juice to wantonly drip down their chins. I, on the other hand, cooked those suckers into sugary submission.
Still, this tart popped out of my oven begging to be topped with whipped cream. I had no choice but to concede. John Edwards and Tiger Woods agree–tarts are difficult to ignore. When topped with whipped cream? Well, you know what’s next.
Consume, regret, repeat.
1 C. all-purpose flour
1 TB sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 C. (1 stick) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 TB ice water
1/4 tsp vanilla extract
1) Preheat oven to 375°F. Combine first three ingredients in processor. Using on/off turns, cut in butter until mixture resembles a coarse meal.
2) Mix 2 tablespoons ice water and vanilla in small bowl. Pour water mixture over dough. Process until moist clumps form.
3) Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Roll out on floured surface to 12-inch round. Transfer to 9-inch-diameter tart pan with removable bottom. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch. Fold overhang in and press, forming double-thick sides. Using fork, pierce dough all over. Freeze 15 minutes.
4) Bake crust until pale golden, about 30 minutes (crust may shrink slightly). Cool on rack. Maintain oven temperature.
1/3 C. whole almonds (I bought them pre-roasted)
1/3 C. sugar
3 TB unsalted butter, room temperature
4 tsp lemon juice (you could also add some lemon rind)
about 6 ripe red-skinned plums, pitted, cut into 3/4-inch-thick wedges
1/4 C. red currant jelly
1) Finely grind almonds with sugar in processor. Add egg, butter and 2 teaspoons lemon juice. Process until batter forms.
2) Pour filling into crust. Arrange plums atop filling. Bake until plums are tender and filling is golden and set, about 50 minutes.
3) Melt jelly with remaining 2 teaspoons framboise in heavy small saucepan over medium-low heat. Brush jelly mixture over plums.
4) Cool tart. Serve at room temperature with whipped cream.
Pingback: Mountain Ocean Natural Skin Care Oil, Almond, 8.5-Ounces (Pack of 3) | Best Skin Care News